Blackboard, and anything hosted on it, will be unavailable to Emory faculty and staff—including our tech support team—after August 31, 2017. Over the next few months, Emory University will finish transitioning from the Blackboard learning management system to Canvas. Faculty are strongly discouraged from using Blackboard over the summer.
To ensure your information is not lost, Emory University Department of Medicine faculty are urged to read the following:
- This is the last full production semester of Blackboard. Any courses moving forward will be provisioned only in Canvas, and enrollments will also only be loaded into Canvas.
- Faculty use of Blackboard during the summer is strongly discouraged, primarily because the date at the end of August is a hard deadline. Blackboard, and anything hosted on it, will be unavailable to anyone, including Emory’s tech support team, after August 31, 2017. If faculty have a truly special need to run courses in Blackboard over the summer, they are encouraged to reach out to Emory’s LITS service.
- If Department of Medicine faculty own any organizations within Canvas, they’ll need to remove and migrate that content as well. Every organization owner should have received instructions on how to do this, though it’s also available at http://it.emory.edu/canvas/training/organizations.html
- Emory’s tech support team is available to meet for training and/or one-on-one sessions with faculty to help with this transition. Faculty can schedule time with tech support and/or view the workshop schedule at http://it.emory.edu/canvas.
- Everything in Blackboard must be removed by August 31, 2017.
Canvas benefits for educators:
- Canvas offers a platform with which educators can produce the learning environment they want for their learners.
- Teachers can offer feedback and integrate videos, blogs, wikis, and other channels of education
- Track your students’ progress online
Canvas benefits for students:
- Canvas enables students to get notifications, submit paperwork, and interact with the learning materials given to them on mobile and computer devices.
- Students can merge their Canvas accounts with their social media accounts (e.g., Facebook and Twitter).
For general questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to create a work order. For more strategic questions or requests for specific training, contact Lee Clontz (email@example.com) and Dana Bryant (firstname.lastname@example.org).